Monday, May 31, 2010

Tommy's hospital visit

I was awakened early Thursday morning, around 2ish (that's am), to Tommy screaming. He rarely even cries, let alone screams. He continued screaming for...I don't know, a long while...until about seven. At which point, he is exhausted and starts to whimper. This goes on until about eight. He wouldn't eat, and nothing would console him. I finally thought to take his temperature because he felt pretty warm. 102.4! Yikes. I call the pediatrician, who tells me to take him straight to the ER. I tried to feed him again before we left, and he finally ate--only to throw it all right back up. We got to the hospital and they ran a bunch of tests. Then they come in and start telling me he has an elevated white blood cell count, fever, but can't find anything that could be causing it, so they need to do a lumbar puncture to check for meningitis. (Yes, I was totally freaking out at that point.) After failing to get a sample of spinal fluid from the spinal tap it was decided to start treating him for menigitis and he was started on antibiotics. We then had to wait 48 hours to get the results from the blood work and urine cultures they took. Long story short, his fever abaited, the cultures came back negative and he is home and doing well now. Not a fun experience.
For him either.

Something seriously scary about seeing your baby hooked up to IV's and monitors laying in a hospital bed.
(On a side note, it was interesting to watch how they do a spinal tap. (I can only say that now because he's okay!))
We got home only to have both girls come down with a fun stomach bug the next day and they have been taking turns tossing their cookies! Good news though--this one is only a 24 hour bug! I'll take it at this point.
Fun times.

8 comments:

Talialisa said...

Oh.... what a scary time! Been there and done that - you have my total empathy!
So glad Tommy is doing better and the girl's only have a stomach flu!

The Bluths said...

Yikes! That would be scary! Glad he is ok!

Nicole said...

What a crazy, scary ordeal!! At least Tommy was the cutest patient there. I cringe to think about his spinal tap. :( :( Glad all is well... I hope you don't get the flu and toss your "cookies"

Kelley Bochman Smith said...

Glad Tommys ok. Scary bussiness raising kids! (not to mentions somtimes VERY messy) XO

Lori said...

So sad, and scary:( I'm so glad he's okay. We had an experiance like that when Jaren wasn't even a month old. They did the tap, and he was in the hospital for five days. Boo!!!!

Ammanda said...

Glad everything turned out okay.

rachelle said...

Oh Mel there is nothing worse than having a babe in the hospital for any reason. I am so glad that he is home and doing well. I hope that little guy of yours stays healthy!!

Stevenson's said...

How scary! So did they even tell you what was wrong? I'm so glad things turned out, but never fun to experience that.