We've been trying to get the girls to do more for themselves. A few days ago, after prodding Isabelle to do something on her own, she puts her foot down and says to us, "I'm not an adult...stop treating me like one!"
Hold on while I get a recorder!
Again, a day after that, her dad was again trying to get her to do something on her own. He said to her, "I trust you."
Her response, "I HATE it when you trust me like that!"
The nerve!
(We are terrible parents, asking her to do things like....oh, get the mail, ride her bike to the corner and back--ya know, serious stuff!)
Ava, however, is totally up for the challenges. And after completing something we asked of her she says to us, "You own me...a lot!" A few seconds later she asked "what does that mean, you own me?" I told her it meant I was the boss. She promtly corrected herself. "I meant... I own you...a lot!" She's been using this phrase quite a bit lately now.
Ava got some money for her birthday and we thought it would be a good idea for her to put it in her bank account. We explained how putting it in the bank helps her save and the importance of saving. Her response, "But what if I want to buy something tomorrow?" Unfortunately, I understand completely!
Her father (I think in an effort to get her to put the money in the bank) told her that if she didn't want to put it in the bank, she could just use it to pay for her school supplies for school instead. She looked up at us with puppy dog eyes and said ever so sweetly, "I thought you would help me pay for them." Giving her dad a how could you look, I quickly assured her that, of course, we would pay for her school supplies. To which she replied, rather too quickly, "Cha-ching!"
That kid knows how to work things (and me)!
June 2026
3 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment