Sunday, May 9, 2010

Apparently I need to be more specific!

Two weekends ago, Tom was in Monterey, Mexico working. Before he left town I told him not to get himself killed! (Good parting words, yes?) Anyhow, the evening he was supposed to be flying home I get a call that went a little something like this...

Me: Hello?
Him: Hi honey...I'm in a Mexican prison.

pause

Me: Oooohkay.

Long story short, he threw out the travel card he was given upon entering the country, the same travel card he needed to leave the country again and return to our fair land. (This card is somehow very important--at least it was that day--even if you have your passport.) After being interrogated by airport security in their isolation room, he was again interrogated by local police at the police station in their isolation cell. Long story even shorter, a wonderful local came to his aid and he is now safely home. (Word of advice to all international travelers--DO NOT throw out any documentation given to you! (DUH!))
Apparently, my sage advice of not getting himself killed was not specific enough!

2 comments:

Ammanda said...

Great parting words - that's actually what I tell Chop every year when he goes to scout camp, or on ny scouting outing - "Remember the #1 rule: Don't die. Thanks honey." - So to me, your advice just seems normal. :)

Lori said...

Last night I was telling Richard this story. His reply " well he didn't die, right?" Men?