Sunday, November 4, 2012

Shiny!

My grandma was diagnosed not too long ago with dimensia, but we were told that many people with this condition can live for quite some time.  So, I was a little surprised when I got a call this evening saying that my grandmother is close to passing.  I gathered the children and explained what was going on and that grandma would probably be dying soon.  This led to a discussion on relationships and family and, of course, death.  I then got to call my grandma and talk to her and tell her I love her.
Later that night when I tucked the kids into bed, I overheard them talking...
Isabelle--"You know that when you die, you get your body back without any scars or anything like that?"
Ava--"I know, I know, we'll be just like how are bodies are here..."
Isabelle--"Our bodies will be even BETTER!"
Ava--"I hope not!  I don't want to be TOO SHINY!  I just want to be me."
Cause, ya know, she's already pretty darn shiny!
I am thankful for a grandma who is who she was, and that my kids are who they are!  And that grandma gets to keep shining!

2 comments:

Talialisa said...

My condolescenses at your grandma's passing. It is always hard when we lose someone, but I am touched by your children's matter of fact acceptance of what will occur in the next life.

Ammanda said...

Sorry about your grandma. On the other hand, I found it to be a blessing in a way to be able to teach my kids about death at a younger age - while they have very simple understandings and lots of inherent hope and faith. As my kids have gotten older they bring up amongst themselves every once in a while about how grandma died and then the older 2 explain to the younger 2 about the resurrection. And so the conversation always ends up a happy one. I love that they can teach each other a joyful gospel truth. okay - hope i didn't sound preachy. My prayers are with you. :)